Barbados' two largest trade unions are considering their options, following government's rejection of their proposals for salary increases for public servants.
In correspondence sent earlier this week, the Ministry of the Civil Service informed the Barbados Workers' Union and the National Union of Public Workers, that their submissions cannot be accommodated at this time.
The letter to the unions, dated Tuesday March 20th, 2018 was signed by permanent secretary in the Ministry of the Civil Service, Alyson Forte.
It said "I am directed to advise you that the minister, with advice from the Ministry of Finance, has determined that the prevailing economic conditions do not permit a general increase in the emoluments for public servants, including any one-off payments."
It went on to say: "Consequently, while I am prepared to continue to meet with you to follow up on any non-salary items, I will not be meeting to discuss matters relating to any increases in salaries and wages at this time."
The National Union of Public Workers says it's disappointed with the response to its proposal for salary increases and will discuss the matter internally.
General Secretary Roslyn Smith however says she's willing to continue talks on the non-salary items.
General secretary of the BWU Toni Moore is also unimpressed by the ministry's position.
Ms Moore says the BWU will give a full response after its executive council has discussed this latest development.