Sunday, Jul 15, 2018

PCB allay fears over Windies series

PCB allay fears over Windies series
29 Mar
2018

Pakistan Cricket Board chairman, Najam Sethi, on Thursday sought to allay fears over the staging of the historic series against West Indies, especially with Cricket West Indies yet to confirm the tour or announce a squad.

The series is expected to bowl off on Sunday at the National Stadium in Pakistan but there has been no word, other than from the PCB, on the series which comprises three Twenty20 Internationals and runs until April 3.

“West Indies will be coming to Pakistan on March 31 for three-match series as per schedule,” Sethi told reporters.

“What we have said, we have achieved it so far. So there is no doubt remaining that they will tour Pakistan.”

The PCB confirmed the tour last month but to date CWI are yet to acknowledge the series. And fears the series would be scrapped heightened with the delayed announcement of a squad and uncertainty over their arrival in the country.

Pakistan unveiled a strong 15-man squad on Monday to face the Windies, in the first full tour by a major Test-playing side side of the country since the now infamous terrorist attacks on a Sri Lankan bus in 2009 injured several players and left members of the security forces dead.

Sethi said there was no doubt the series would come off especially since most of the tickets for the three-match series had already been sold and that sponsors had already committed themselves to the venture.

The logo for the series was unveiled Thursday.

West Indies are coming off a near month-long campaign in the ICC World Cup qualifiers in Zimbabwe, finishing second to Afghanistan to qualify for next year’s World Cup in England.

The availabilty of key Windies players could be in question with fears remaining over security in Pakistan and with the lucrative Indian Premier League bowling off next Wednesday.

WIN A MAZDA WITH CBC

Latest Articles

Most Read