Monday, Oct 22, 2018

Girl wakes up after life support is turned off

Girl wakes up after life support is turned off
27 Mar
2018

A Western Australian schoolgirl given little chance of survival after an electric shock at her Perth home continues to defy the odds.

Denishar Woods has said her first words since the March 3 accident that almost killed her when 240 volts of electricity coursed through her body when she tried to turn off a tap outside her Beldon home.

Nine News Perth reports that Denishar, who initially had her life support turned off but continued to breathe on her own, is making more miraculous progress and has now started saying the word 'Mum'.

Stunned doctors are so pleased with her progress that they have since told her hopeful family that Denishar could be discharged from Princess Margaret Hospital within three to six months.

OMG, just got the best news, we could possibly be home with Denishar within the next 3 to 6 months max. I'm so excited,' her mother Lacey Harrison posted on Facebook on Tuesday.

The latest improvement comes a week after Ms Harrison shared a picture of the 11-year-old when she was moved from her hospital bed to a wheelchair.

'Last week we were told she wouldn't make it off life support,' she said.

'Now, watching her get in the hoist and get in the wheelchair.... I just want to bring my baby outside.'

A Go Fund Me page for Denishar and her family has raised more than $12,600 since March 6.

'She's doing so well considering what she has gone through,' Ryan Veitch recently posted on the page.

'We are so proud of what a little fighter she has been.'

Ms Harrison and her six other children have yet to return home out of fear they too could be electrocuted at the 'evil' property.

'I want answers because I'm going home every night and reliving the moment me and my daughter dropped to the ground,' Ms Harrison told 9 News at the time.

'All Homes West homes need a major look into - because this should never have happened.'

Ms Harrison said the family were now also scared to touch light switches or metal objects.

'It's not home, it's evil, I don't want to be here, it's traumatising. I should be laying there not her.' she said.

Michael Bunko, a director at WA's electricity regulator, believed the tragedy was likely caused by a fault in the neutral conductor supplying power to the property.

While the incident was still being investigated, lawyers said the state government faced a potential multi-million dollar claim.

A spokesman for Housing Minister Peter Tinley said Ms Harrison had expressed interest in moving house.

'The Department has reserved a five-bedroom property for Ms Harrison and her family,' he said.

'Ms Harrison has advised she would like to consider the property and the Department will continue to talk to her regarding her options.'

The family was offered short-term motel accommodation, but were instead staying with relatives.

Latest Articles

Most Read